Frequently Asked Questions¶
1. Missing files when extracting my zip on UCloud
If you are using MacOS, be sure to not use the compress (Archive Utility) option when zipping. Archive Utility cannot handle more than 65535 files per zip or files larger than 4 GB. It will not fail zipping, but the zip file will be corrupt. Instead use the zip command from the terminal.
2. Cannot extract downloaded zip of folders from UCloud
UCloud uses zip64 to zip folders for download. This is because many of the users have files larger than 4 GB and without zip64 this would have been the limit. If the extraction happens on MacOS, use the zip command from the terminal instead of Archive Utility. If on Windows try out 7zip instead.
3. How can I use Conda on UCloud?
4. Incorrect Python interpreter when loading a Conda environment created in JupyterLab
5. How can I synchronize GitHub/GitLab/Bitbucket repositories stored in UCloud?
It is possible to synchronize remote repositories using any interactive app (e.g., Terminal, Coder, RStudio, JupyterLab). In fact, all these apps have Git and an SSH client pre-installed. You should first create a deploy key for the remote repository and then set up your Git credentials inside UCloud, e.g. with a script as this one:#!/bin/bash eval `ssh-agent -s` ssh-add /work/ssh/id_rsa git config --global user.name "add here your name" git config --global user.email "add here your email" bash -i
id_rsais your SSH private key. The corresponding public key must be stored on the remote repository.
6. Is it possible to run Docker containers on UCloud?
It is not possible for now to install and run Docker within an interactive application hosted on UCloud. Nevertheless, the user can install the udocker command line interface to execute simple containers in user space, without root privileges. In a future release of UCloud we will allow users to run their own containers.
Alternatively, it is possible to run Docker containers inside a virtual machine.
7. Can I connect to UCloud via SSH from my laptop?
8. How shall I process sensitive data on UCloud?
9. I am a bachelor/master/PhD student - How do I apply for a project on UCloud?
Students are not allowed to apply for projects. In this case the supervisor should submit a grant application for the project and invite the student, once it has been approved.
10. How shall I acknowledge and/or cite UCloud in my publications?
If you publish research results from computations done on UCloud, we recommend to rephrase the following sentence in the final acknowledgments:All/part of the computation done for this project was performed on the UCloud interactive HPC system, which is managed by the eScience Center at the University of Southern Denmark.
11. Is it possible to run software for Windows on UCloud?
It is currently not possible to run software developed for Microsoft Windows operating system. However, in the future we will allow to deploy Windows virtual machines for this purpose.